Rotary’s first emblem was a simple wagon wheel (in motion with dust) representing civilization and movement. It was designed in 1905 by Montague Bear, a member of the Chicago club, who was an engraver, and many Rotary clubs of the time adopted the whee in one form or another.
In 1922, authority was given to create and preserve an official emblem, and the following year the present gear wheel with 24 cogs and six spokes was adopted. A keyway was added to signify that the wheel was a ‘worker and not an idler.’ At the RI Convention in 1929, royal blue and gold were chosen as the official colours.
Details of the recommended use of the emblem are set out in the RI Visual Identity manual.
Graphics are available from Tord Elfwendahl’s excellent website.